Today is "National Pancake Day", and that information made me realize that I'd never shared my Banana Buckwheat Pancakes recipe here on the blog!
This is one of the recipes from my first gluten-free cookbook, Beyond Flour: A Fresh Approach to Gluten-Free Cooking and Baking. Can you believe that it's been four and a half years since that one came out? Wild. Time really flies! Pick up your copy here on this site, or through Amazon.
Much like with most of my muffin recipes, I like to add fruit in the batter to add flavour, nutrition, and moisture to my pancakes.
This is a really fantastic recipe - quick and easy, has a lot of flavour payoff and a great texture ... without being obnoxious. Combined with fresh blueberry sauce, banana buckwheat pancakes are a fantastic meal to start the day off with - whether you're normally gluten free or not!
Banana Buckwheat Pancakes
- ⅔ Cup Light Buckwheat Flour
- ⅓ Cup Sorghum Flour
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¾ Cup Buttermilk*
- 2 Large Bananas Mashed
- ½ tsp Vanilla
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- In a bowl, combine flours, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In blender, process buttermilk, banana, vanilla, egg, and oil until smooth. Pour into dry ingredients. Lightly stir, just until combined – do not over beat it!
- Lightly oil your griddle or frying pan, preheat over medium or medium-low heat. Scoop ¼ cup(50 ml) amounts of batter onto the griddle. Gently spread batter out into a larger circle, about 4 – 4.5″ in diameter.
- Cook until bubbles start popping through top surface. Flip, cook until done.
- Serve with blueberry syrup… maybe with whipped cream, and a sprinkling of nutmeg!
Blueberry Pancake Sauce
- 10 oz Frozen Blueberries
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ Cup Water*
- 1 Orange, zest of
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.
|Interested in Gluten-free cooking and baking? You'll LOVE Beyond Flour: A Fresh Approach to Gluten-Free Cooking and Baking!
How many times have you come across a gluten-free recipe claiming to be “just as good as the normal version!”, only to wind up with weird textures, aftertastes, etc? Most gluten-free recipes are developed by taking a “normal” recipe, and swapping in a simulated “all purpose” gluten-free flour… whether store bought, or a homemade version. “Beyond Flour” takes a different approach: developing the recipe from scratch. Rather than swapping out the flour for an “all purpose” mix, I use various alternative flours as individual ingredients – skillfully blending flavours, textures, and other properties unique to each flour. Supporting ingredients and different techniques are also utilized to achieve the perfect end goal … not just a “reasonable facsimile”. Order your copy here.
|Looking for even MORE fantastic gluten-free recipes? Beyond Flour now has a sequel: Beyond Flour 2: A Fresh Approach to Gluten-Free Cooking and Baking!
Imagine gluten-free foods that are as good – or better! – than their traditional, gluten-filled counterparts. Imagine no longer settling for foods with bizarre after-tastes, gummy consistency, and/or cardboard texture. Imagine graham crackers that taste just like the real thing. Crisp, flaky crackers…without the sandy texture. Hybrid tortillas that: look and act like flour tortillas, with the taste of fresh roasted corn! Imagine chewy, delicious cookies that *everyone* will want to eat! Imagine BAGELS. If you’ve cooked from “Beyond Flour”, you already know that these fantasies can be reality – it’s all in the development of the recipes. Order your copy here.