Cookies N' Cream Cake
Originally posted June 23, 2011. Updated 2/21/2021
If you're looking for a great cake recipe to please kids of ALL ages, look no further!
Cookies N Cream Cake!
This cookies n' cream cake was absolutely our MOST popular selection for birthday cakes when we were still taking custom cake orders.
It features alternating layers of our vanilla and chocolate cakes, filled with our delicious Swiss Meringue Buttercream that has been loaded with smashed-up Oreo cookies!
It was always surprising to me, the variety of events that would order this flavour.
The kids' birthday parties.. 100% not at all surprising.
But this was ordered for elegant engagement parties, fancy fundraisers, even weddings!
If you look through my old Cake Gallery ... a shocking number of the fancy, elegant ones had this Cookies N Cream Torte underneath the decoration you see!
Mint Cookies N Cream Cake
While this cake was always most popular in its original, basic form - as pictured throughout this post, for that form of the recipe - sometimes we’d shake it up a bit.
While you can flavour - and even colour - the vanilla layer any way you want*, mint cookies N cream was the most popular of our variations on this recipe.
To make this a Mint Cookies N Cream Torte:
- In the cake, cut vanilla extract down to 1 Tbsp, only include it in the bowl that will become chocolate batter.
- Add 1.5 teaspoon of mint extract to the bowl that does not have chocolate added to it, along with a small amount of green food colouring. I liked to aim for a mint green colour, in both cake and frosting.
- In the frosting, instead of using 1 tablespoon of vanilla, use 2 teaspoon of mint extract, or to taste. Add a small amount of green food colouring.
* Try Orange (Orange extract and colour in the vanilla cake and the frosting), chocolate, or even mocha! They are all great options!
Evil Cake Overlord
Interested in making wickedly delicious cakes? You'll LOVE my second cookbook, Evil Cake Overlord!
We've long been known for our “ridiculously delicious” moist cakes and tasty, unique flavors. Now, you can have recipes for all of the amazing flavors on our former custom cake menu, and many more!
Bake your moist work of gastronomic art, then fill and frost your cake with any number of tasty possibilities. Milk chocolate cardamom pear, mango mojito.. even our famous Chai cake – the flavor that got us into “Every Day with Rachel Ray” magazine!
Feeling creative? Use our easy to follow recipe to make our yummy fondant. Forget everything you’ve heard about fondant – ours is made from marshmallows and powdered sugar, and is essentially candy – you can even flavor it!
Order your copy directly through my site, through Amazon, or through any major bookseller!
More Cake Recipes!
Looking for more ridiculously delicious cake recipes? As the "Evil Cake Overlord", I've got you covered! (Ps: Check out my instructions for making Marshmallow Fondant, as well!)
Bahama Mama Torte
Blood Orange Truffle Torte
Citrus Splendor Torte
Raspberry Tiramisu Torte
Tiger Tail Cake
Bundt, Sheet, & Upside Down Cakes
Bananas Foster Upside Down Cake
Brandied Apple Upside Down Cake
Deep N Delicious Cake
French Martini Bundt Cake
French Martini Upside Down Cake
Mango Mojito Upside Down Cake
Pina Colada Bundt Cake
Strawberry Mango Marble Cake
3D Monarch Butterfly Cupcakes
Black Velvet Cupcakes
Easy Butterfly Cupcakes
Fat Elvis Cupcakes
Lynchburg Lemonade Cupcakes
Pink Grapefruit Daiquiri Cupcakes
Fillings & Frostings
Milk Chocolate Whipped Ganache
Stabilized Whipped Cream
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Also: I have Cake Decorating Tutorials, and posts about previous Decorated Cakes that I've made.
Share the Love!
Before you chow down, be sure to take some pics of your handiwork! If you instagram it, be sure to tag me - @CelebrationGenerationCA - or post it to My Facebook Page - so I can cheer you on!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Cookies and Cream Cake
- 3 Cups Cake Flour
- 2 ¼ Cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt
- 3 ½ oz Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 1 ½ Cups Water
- 6 Large Eggs
- 1 ½ Cups Butter, Melted
- 2 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 Batches Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 1 Package Oreo Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Liberally grease two 8″round cake pans with vegetable shortening, and/or spray with baking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pudding mix in a large mixing bowl. Add in water and eggs, beating just until smooth. Carefully add melted butter and vanilla to the batter, mixing on medium speed until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly into two bowls. Add cocoa powder to one bowl, stirring until evenly distributed.
- Divide batter among prepared cake pans, one flavor per pan. Bake until golden and knife inserted into center of batter comes out clean and cake springs back – about 45-60 minutes.
- Allow to cool 10-15 minutes before turning cakes out onto baking rack to cool fully. Ideally, allow to cool to room temperature, wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Allow cake to sit overnight.
- Prepare Swiss meringue buttercream. Run about ⅓ of the Oreo cookies through a food processor until finely ground. Crush another ⅓ of the package by hand, yielding medium/large chunks of cookies. Add cookie powder to frosting, stirring until well combined. Add cookie chunks, to taste – as many as you’d like.
To Assemble Cake
- Remove plastic wrap from cake layers. Carefully slice the domed top off each round, leveling the surface of the cake. Carefully cut each cake in half, horizontally, for 4 thin rounds of cake in all.
- Place one round of chocolate cake on cake plate, spread with buttercream. Top with a round of vanilla cake, spread with buttercream. Top with second round of chocolate cake. Spread with a final layer of buttercream, and top with remaining layer of cake.
- Frost sides and top of cake with remaining buttercream. Garnish with remaining cookies, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
More Chocolate Recipes
Looking for a tasty ways to indulge your inner chocoholic? I've got you covered!
Chewy Black Forest Cookies
Chocolate Dessert Ravioli
Chocolate Fondues and Fountains
Creme de Menthe Nanaimo Bars
Dark Chocolate Coffee Truffles
Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownies
Grownup Hot Chocolate & Hot Cocoa
Homemade Deep N' Delicious Cake
Milk Chocolate Chai Truffles
Puffed Wheat Squares
Leave a Reply