How I Made That: Maleficent's Horns / Headpiece
Back in October, I posted a Cosplay Tutorial: Maleficent's Staff. As Maleficent has been one of the costumes that generates the most email questions for me, seemed like a good idea!
I have been meaning to post a tutorial on how to make the headpiece, but - as it turns out - I didn't take any photos of the earlier steps. So, here we are with a "How I Made That", instead!
So, let me first detail what all went on before I thought to start taking photos 🙂
1 - I had a cement casting of my Maleficent model's head. I greased it up with vaseline, and laid down some wet plaster tape in a rough shape of the base head cap. I did about 3 layers, and let it harden fully before removing it and trimming it to the right shape.
2 - I made the horns. For things like this, I like to start with a base of crunched up aluminium foil - it's lightweight, easy to form, and holds shape well. I took the time to make two symmetrical horns.
3 - Using thin strips of plaster tape, I wet, wrapped, and smoothed a couple layers of plaster from the tip down towards the base of each horn.
4 - With the cap part centered on the head casting, I used mroe strips of plaster tape to securely affix the horns to the cap base, taking care to keep them symmetrical. Then, I let that harden completely.
5 - Using some "Fast Mache" paperclay, I filled out and smoothed over the horns. Let that dry completely.
6 - I sprayed the horns with Super 77 spray adhesive, and wrapped them with twine. Let that dry completely.
7 - Once the whole thing had dried *completely*, I coated it all with a layer of black Plasti-Dip. This would protect the plaster from outside moisture. Once that was dry, I painted it with black PAX paint, for a nicer finish.
8 - I draped a small piece of textured black fabric (stretchy) over the headpiece, trimming it and cutting holes out for the horns. Once I was satified with how it looked, I sprayed the back of it with Super 77, and glued it down to the headpiece, smoothing out all the wrinkles, etc.
9 - I draped a piece of shiny metallic black lycra over it, trimming to form the "V" trim. Once I was satisifed with the shape and fit, I glued it into place with Super 77, folding edges to the underside of the cap.
10 - Using a larger piece of black metallic lycra, I draped one side of the ... I don't know what I'd call it. Skull cap? Cowl? Sort of? Anyway, draped that on one side, pinning in place.
11 - Used another large piece of black metallic lycra to drape the other side, overlapping the first. Once I was happy with it, I hand stitched the pieces together, sewing right up to the horns to secure everything in place.
For more photos of this stunning costume, head on over to our Facebook page. We have an album for it HERE.
Be sure to “like” my costuming page on Facebook for more progress pics, tips, and other fun stuff: Marie Porter, Cosplay Costumer.
Note: If you’re looking for a quote on custom costuming, please contact me through my costuming page, www.evilcostumeoverlord.com.
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!