Today is Fried Chicken Day, so I figure it's about time to share my recipe for Gluten-Free Fried Chicken!
I developed this recipe for my first gluten-free cookbook, "Beyond Flour: A Fresh Approach to Gluten-Free Cooking and Baking".
When I started work on that book, I approached it as a giant gluten-free "wish list" - and fried chicken was HIGH on the list of requests from my readers and Kickstarter Backers.
Between flavours, textures, and varying reactions to frying... there's a lot of really awful gluten-free fried chicken out there. NO MORE!
Much like with the rest of the recipes in my Beyond Flour books, I looked at the flavours and properties of the various gluten-free flour alternatives out there, and combined them to come up with the BEST balance of flavour and texture... as well as behaviour. The seasonings were chosen specifically for that mix, and balances everything out well.
The resulting fried chicken is crispy and flavourful, with the texture of a normal, wheat flour fried chicken. It holds together well, without holding onto excess grease. There's no gummy feeling, or weird mouth feel.
It's just a genuinely great fried chicken recipe - and one that passes very well for a "normal" fried chicken. You can absolutely serve this to the entire family, guests, etc without worry!
Note: The development of this recipe also spawned my Best Coleslaw Recipe EVER - as pictured here.
If you're into gluten-free cooking, you should definitely check out my gluten-free cookbooks! They're available here on my site, as well as through any major bookseller.
Also, if you're interested in gluten-free cooking and baking, you should definitely check out my gluten-free cookbooks: Beyond Flour: A Fresh Approach to Gluten Free Cooking & Baking, and the sequel... Beyond Flour 2. You can order them right here on my website, through Amazon, or through any major bookseller.
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Gluten-Free Fried Chicken
- About 10 chicken pieces to fry - thighs drumsticks, breasts, etc
- 4 Large eggs
- ⅓ cup Milk
- 1 cup Cornstarch
- ½ cup Millet flour
- ½ cup Sorghum flour
- ¼ cup White rice flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Dried sage
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- ¼ tsp Onion powder
- ¼ tsp Garlic powder
- Arrange chicken on a baking sheet, season well with salt and place in the fridge - uncovered - for one hour.
- In one large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk, set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients until well combined. Lightly dredge all rested chicken in flour mixture, shaking excess flour mixture back into the bowl.
- Measure about 1 Tbsp (15 ml) of milk/egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Use your fingers to work the moisture in to the dry mixture, creating some small lumps throughout.
- One piece at a time, dip chicken into egg mixture, and then into flour mixture. Press flour mixture firmly against the chicken to adhere, arrange on a baking sheet. Once all chicken has been dipped and coated, allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil 325 F (165 C) You can use a deep fryer, or a heavy pan. If not using a deep fryer, use a deep, heavy pot, filled to at least 3" deep.
- Once oil reaches temperature, fry chicken in batches until nicely browned and crispy. This should take between 10-14 minutes, depending on the size/type of chicken pieces. Allow oil to come back up to temperature between batches.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a plate or pan lined with paper towels, to soak up excess oil.
- Serve hot!