Grandma's Potato Salad
Originally posted July 14, 2010. Updated 2/16/2021
This recipe was originally posted last summer.. but with recent weather, BBQs, and a wicked craving for it.. figured it's about time to drag it back to the spotlight!
Lately, I've been on a mission to translate my family favorite "recipes" (no, that's not a misuse of quotation marks!) into actual recipes.
It's a bigger endevor than it sounds to be - my family writes down recipes like we cook.
By that, I mean that "a handful of" or "some" are used as actual units of measurements, or any indication of actual quantity is left out completely.
We add an ingredient till things look or taste right, which is fine when you're comfortable with what you're doing.. but not so hot for conveying a recipe to my blog readers!
Take, for instance, my Grandma's Potato Salad recipe.
She makes the most amazing potato salad I've ever had, but this is her recipe, in its entirety:
boil red potatoes, cut in 4
Don't overcook them
Put in fridge, cover with italian dressing, let sit overnight
Take them out, add chopped green onion, celery, radishes, eggs (hardboiled and sliced)
Use Hellman's full fat mayo, don't use too much
See what I'm dealing with? LOL.
The recipe is far too great to NOT share with the world, so here it is!
More Recipes that Remind me of Gramma
Since originally writing this post, my gramma has sadly passed... but her memory lives on.
Here are a few recipes that remind me of her, whether as something she taught me to make, a replica of a retail treat we used to enjoy together, or one of my own recipes that she would request whenever I’d visit, as an adult.
Gramma's Perogies Recipe
Homemade Marshmallow Cones
Homemade Clodhoppers Candy
Puffed Wheat Squares
Honey Dill Dipping Sauce
Paska - Ukrainian Easter Bread
Baking Powder Biscuits
Easy Butterfly Cupcakes
Breakfast of Champions
Mushroom Soup and Eggs on Toast
French Canadian Pea Soup
Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup with Gluten Free Dumplings
Beep Drink Recipe
Gluten Free Cod Au Gratin
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Gramma's Potato Salad
- 3-5 lbs Red Potatoes Chopped into ¾"-1" Chunks
- 1 ½ Cups Italian Salad Dressing
- 3 Green Onions Thinly Sliced
- 4 Celery Ribs Thinly Sliced
- 8 Radishes Thinly Sliced
- ¾-1 Cup Full Fat Mayo
- 5-6 Large Eggs Hard boiled and sliced
- Ground Pepper
- Boil potato cubes until tender enough to easily pierce with a fork, but still firm – about 30 minutes. Strain, and place into a large non-metallic bowl.
- Pour Italian dressing over warm potato cubes, gently stir to coat, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Several hours before serving, add green onion, celery, and radish slices. Fold into potatoes.
- Add mayo (¾ cup if you like a drier salad, more if you like it creamier), gently stir until potatoes and vegetables are evenly coated.
- Gently fold in the egg slices, season with pepper to taste.
Looking for more salad recipes - whether as a side, main, or dessert (LOL!)? I’ve got you!
Best Coleslaw Recipe Ever!
Canadian Candy Bar Salad
Cold Smoked Potato Salad
"Extreme" Caesar Salad Recipe
Grilled Halloumi Salad with Peaches & Figs
Hazelnut Crusted Chicken Salad
Marie's Pasta Salad
No Tomato Quinoa Tabbouleh
Rainbow Salad with Carrot Dressing
Roasted Corn & Potato Salad
Roasted Radish Salad
Wild Rice & Edamame Salad