Gluten-Free Maple Pumpkin Pie with Maple Cream!
Originally Posted October 15, 2014. Updated 1/22/2021
It's been almost exactly 1 year since I set up a Kickstarter campaign for the gluten free cookbook I'd been considering developing.
It was wildly successful - almost double-funding! - and I worked really hard to product the BEST recipes for gluten-free cooking and baking.
Well, today is the day! The official release date for Beyond Flour: A Fresh Approach to Gluten-Free Cooking & Baking!
To celebrate the occasion, I am sharing a ridiculously awesome recipe with you: gluten free maple pumpkin pie.
Gluten Free Maple Pumpkin Pie
The crust is a bastardization of one in the book - I decided that I wanted to do a slightly sweeter, spiced-up version for this particular pie recipe.
If you follow the Beyond Flour page on facebook, you may have seen the "teaser" pic of this recipe on a post I made this weekend, here! Just look at those glorious air bubbles!
This tastes as good as it looks, with or without the maple cream topping (which I adore!).
Everything you could want in a pumpkin pie - creamy, rich, with the right amount of spice, and a flaky crust. Perfection!
Also, if you're interested in gluten-free cooking and baking, you should definitely check out my gluten-free cookbooks: Beyond Flour: A Fresh Approach to Gluten Free Cooking & Baking, and the sequel... Beyond Flour 2. You can order them right here on my website, through Amazon, or through any major bookseller.
Looking for More Pie Recipes?
Pies, tarts... good stuff put into a flaky crust. I've got you!
Note: All recipes designated as gluten-free can alternately be made "regular" - just swap in your favourite pie crust recipe or store bought crust!
Creamy Blueberry Amaretto Pie
Earl Grey Pie [Gluten-Free]
French Onion Soup Tart [Gluten-Free]
Gluten-Free Chicken & Mushroom Tourtiere
Maple Butter Tarts
Savoury Alligator Pie
Square Root Tart [Gluten-Free]
Southern Comfort Peach Pie
Strawberry Grand Marnier Chiffon Pie
Share the Love!
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Gluten-Free Maple Pumpkin Pie with Maple Cream
Dough – makes enough for 2 crusts
- ¾ cup White Rice Flour
- ¾ cup Light Buckwheat Flour
- ½ cup Millet Flour
- ¼ cup Sweet Rice Flour
- ¼ cup Corn Starch
- ¼ cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch each: Ground Nutmeg & Ground Ccloves
- 8oz Brick Cream Cheese
- ½ cup Cold Butter
- 1 Large Egg
- ⅓ cup+ Cold Water
Filling – makes enough for 1 deep dish pie, two smaller pies, or a normal sized pie and a few tarts (use scrap dough!)
- 8 oz Brick Cream Cheese , softened
- ½ cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs
- 2 cups Pumpkin Puree fresh or canned
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- ¼ tsp Ground Cloves
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Heavy Cream keep it very cold!
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- Pinch Salt
- Measure flours, corn starch, brown sugar, xanthan gum, and spices into the bowl of your food processor, blitz to combine.
- Add cream cheese, butter, and egg, blitz a few times until mixture resembles gravel.
- Stream in cold water as you run the food processor, just long enough to start to bring it together as a dough – you may need to use a little more or less water. Do NOT over-process it!
- Remove dough from processor, knead lightly to bring it together as a ball. Wrap in plastic film, chill for 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half*, Roll your crust (s) out to about ¼″ thick. Line a pie pan with one crust, trim the edges of the crust to only slightly longer than the edge of the pie plate.
- Use your fingers to crimp/ruffle the edge of the pie.
- Use a fork to prick some holes on the bottom of the crust. Chill in freezer until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a stand mixer (or in a bowl with an electric mixer), cream together cream cheese and brown sugar. Once smooth, add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Take crust out of the freezer. Gently cover edge of crust with aluminum foil, bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, discard foil, fill with pumpkin mixture.
- Transfer to oven, bake for 45-50 minutes or so, until center is set. Remove from heat and allow to cool fully before serving.
- Right before serving, prepare Maple Cream:
- Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment or an electric hand mixer, whip cream until soft peaks form.
- Add maple syrup and salt, continue whipping until it reaches desired consistency. Serve immediately.