So, I’ve written and deleted the first few paragraphs of this blog entry a few times. Who knew that writing a blog entry on a very simple comfort food from my childhood would be so complicated?
Bottom line? Today’s recipe was brought on by all of the Mother’s Day ads lately, it’s a sore time of year for me, etc. To say that my family’s relationship status is “It’s Complicated” would be a gross understatement.
ANYWAY. My grandmother was awesome, and this recipe was inspired by her. She used to make mushroom soup and eggs on toast for me as a kid, and I loved it. Very simple comfort food - heat up an undiluted can of cream of mushroom soup, chop up some hard boiled eggs into it, and serve it over toast. Good stuff!
Well, now I’m an adult that’s allergic to gluten, so indulging in this weekend’s nostalgic craving took a little more effort.
Not a ton of effort, mind you... and the results were so good! This is not high cuisine, and it's not the prettiest meal ever - but it sure hits the spot. While I've designed this recipe to be gluten free, feel free to serve it on regular toast, and/or use flour instead of cornstarch if you're not Gluten free. Either way, hope you enjoy it!
PS: I have no idea if it's a regional thing, or what - but no one I know seems to have ever heard of this dish. Anyone out there have any thoughts on that?
More Recipes that Remind me of Gramma
Since originally writing this post, my gramma has sadly passed... but her memory lives on.
Here are a few recipes that remind me of her, whether as something she taught me to make, a replica of a retail treat we used to enjoy together, or one of my own recipes that she would request whenever I’d visit, as an adult.
Gramma's Perogies Recipe
Homemade Marshmallow Cones
Homemade Clodhoppers Candy
Puffed Wheat Squares
Honey Dill Dipping Sauce
Paska - Ukrainian Easter Bread
Baking Powder Biscuits
Grandma's Potato Salad
Easy Butterfly Cupcakes
Breakfast of Champions
French Canadian Pea Soup
Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup with Gluten Free Dumplings
Beep Drink Recipe
Gluten Free Cod Au Gratin
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Mushroom Soup and Eggs on Toast
- 1 Small Onion chopped
- 1 Celery Rib chopped
- 1 lb Baby Bella Mushrooms chopped and divided
- 2 Garlic cloves pressed
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme chopped
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 2 Tbsp Water
- Salt and Pepper
- 6-8 Large Eggs, Hard boiled, peeled and sliced
- 8 slices of bread toasted*
- In a large pan, cool onion and celery – stirring often – until vegetables are tender and onion becomes translucent.
- Add about ⅔ of the mushrooms, garlic, and chicken broth, bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, cook until mushrooms are very soft – about 10 minutes.
- Pour mushroom mixture into a blender or food processor, process til smooth. Set aside.
- In the same pan, combine heavy cream with remaining mushrooms and thyme, bring to a boil. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are desired tenderness. Add pureed mushroom mixture, stir until well combined.
- Whisk together corn starch and water until smooth. Add corn starch mixture to pan, stirring until very well combined. Turn heat down to low, stirring frequently until sauce thickens.
- Once sauce thickens, stir in sliced eggs, season with salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat.
- Place one slice of hot toast on a plate, spoon some mushroom soup mixture over it. Top with another slice of toast, and more mushroom soup. Serve immediately.