These Pina Colada Muffins are based on my one of my favourite muffins at the rink, back as a kid. Pineapple and coconut are a great way to start the day!
Originally posted May 17, 2013. Updated 2/1/2021
When I about 11 or 12, I spent a summer at the CalAlta Figure Skating Club in Calgary. Loved the rink, had a really nice coach...
... but the rink and the coach aren't what inspired this blog entry. It was the giant muffins that they sold there.
I'm pretty sure they were from Costco.. each was way too big to be eaten in one serving.
My favorite was the pina colada muffin, which I'd never seen before then. Upon my return to Winnipeg, searches of Costco failed to turn up these muffins, much to my dismay at the time.
Anyway, last weekend I woke up from a dream about those skating days, and with the muffins included.
Pina Colada Muffins
I decided to design a recipe around the idea of them. I wouldn't be going for authentic, as their muffins were actually pretty dry.
So, here we are. Moist, tender pina colada flavored muffins!
One of the tweaks I made to the source content was to top the muffins with coconut flakes prior to baking, which would allow them to toast up in the process.
Pretty AND tasty!
More Muffin Recipes!
Are you a fellow fan of muffins? I have some more marvelous muffin recipes for you!
Apple Blueberry Muffins
Banana Nut Muffins
Breakfast Corn Muffins
Cardamom Pear Streusel Muffins
Carrot Cake Muffins
Cranberry Orange Pistachio Muffins
Cream Cheese Stuffed "Everything" Muffins
Healthier Apple Oatmeal Muffins
Maple Pumpkin Spiced Muffins
Orange, Date, and Almond Muffins
Peach Cobbler Muffins
Stuffed Banana Nutella Muffins
Sweet Potato Muffins
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Anyway, on to that Pina Colada Muffins Recipe!
Pina Colada Muffins
- 2-¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups coconut flakes sweetened or not, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup pineapple puree*
- 1 tsp. rum extract
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line 12 muffin cups with liners, or spray with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 cup of the coconut, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, coconut cream, melted butter, pineapple puree, and rum extract. Add egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture.
- Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy.) Divide batter between 12 prepared muffin cups, filling each to almost full. Sprinkle remaining coconut over muffin batter in cups.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes, before serving