... and it turned out PERFECT!
When I started making the Thranduil costume, I went the conventional way - forming the crown from wire, then sculpting polymer clay over it, baking, and painting. This made for a VERY fragile crown.. and the first one didn't fit right. I made a second out of clay, before going a bit more hardcore.. and trying my hand at sculpting fiberglass.
Fiberglass was a pain, and made a huge mess. When I was about halfway done, I was inspired to try thermoplastic. Yes, after spending alllll that time, money, and effort on the fiberglass version, I realized that the plastic would have made a nicer crown by itself... cheaper, easier, quicker, nicer, AND lighter!
So, I ditched the fiberglass version, and made one from thermoplastic. I LOVE the results!
Here are some progress photos:
If you're looking to make a Replica Thranduil Crown , I've got a tutorial for you! Click here to go there.