Sesame Crusted Smoked Tofu with Sesame Ginger Dressing
Wow, two new recipe posts in as many weeks? Maybe this dieting thing is helping me in other areas, too!
Anyway, yes. I've had a lot of comments on my personal Facebook about the low carb meal photos I've been posting, so I'm going to try to be better about actually doing up recipes and posting here. Generally, I just post photos of what I'm making to a "Diet Food" album, for me to reference when I'm making meal plans for the week. I get forgetful, so it's nice to look through and think "YUM. Yes, I need to make that again!", you know?
This particular recipe is one that we've really leaned on as a go-to, eating it at least 1-2 times a week. It's easy to make, and tastes way better than any "diet food" has any right to, LOL!
It came about as a bit of a progression - I've had to cut my meat consumption on account of gout, and my husband loves tofu. After playing around with it a bit, we found that we both liked crispy baked tofu - a preparation that usually involves corn starch. With me needing to go low carb, that meant tweaking what we were doing, so I came up with a mixture of seasonings and sesame seeds that would add flavour and crunch, without adding a ton of carbohydrates... and eventually honed it into the recipe we use now!
We serve the crispy tofu cubes over top a salad - usually with cabbage, beets, carrots, cucumber, and radishes of some sort - and top it with a quick sesame ginger dressing - recipe below. SO good!
We use the "Soyganic" brand smoked tofu* for this - plain or Sriracha, depending on our mood at the time - but I've also done the same with normal, extra firm tofu. The smoked tofu we tend to use has far less water than normal tofu, however, so you'll want to drain / dry the normal stuff much more thoroughly, if that's what you're using.
To make this gluten free, all you have to do is to use a GF soy sauce/tamari/coconut aminos when it calls for soy sauce in the dressing. Easy!
*No disclosures to make, we don't have any sort of promotional arrangement with this company, we just really like their smoked tofu! But hey, if you guys are reading... call us *wink and finger guns*.
More Low Carb Recipes
Looking for more Low Carb recipes? I've got you! Here are a few of my favourites:
Chicken Enchilada Zoodles
Low Carb Keto Chirashi Bowl
Low Carb Peanut Chicken Zoodles
Low Carb Tuna Mango Poke
Keto Spicy Salmon Poke
Riceless Stuffed Grape Leaves
Scotch Egg Meatloaf
Singapore Mai Fan Style Zoodles
Spicy Tropical Chicken Zoodles
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Low Carb Sesame Crusted Smoked Tofu
- 1 Brick Smoked Tofu Or other tofu of choice
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds Plain, toasted, black, or a mix
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 400F, line a small baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the tofu in half, to make 2 large, flat rectangles. Blot well with a paper towel to absorb extra moisture, then slice into cubes. Gently roll the cubes onto a paper towel, then transfer to a small mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the tofu cubes with a bit of sesame oil – maybe about 1 Tbsp – then add remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Spread coated tofu cubes out evenly on prepared baking sheet.
- Once oven is up to temperature, bake tofu for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.Serve hot!
Low Carb Sesame Ginger Dressing
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Tahini
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Puree
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Garlic Puree Or pressed - about 3 cloves
- Ground Black Pepper
- In a small mixing bowl or measuring glass, combine all ingredients except pepper, whisking well until thick and smooth. Add pepper to taste.
More Vegetarian Recipes
Looking for more delicious vegetarian recipes? Check these out!
Boneless Vegan Ribs
Paleo Sweet Potato Gnocchi
Trader Joe's Tofu Edamame Nuggets
Vegetarian Chorizo Burger
Vegetarian Donairs / Vegan Donair Meat
Wild Rice and Edamame Salad
Wild Rice Polenta Sandwich