Brie En Croute is an impressive offering when entertaining. My version is elevated with Prosciutto, Honey Pear Sauce, Figs, & Pistachios!
Originally Posted July 4, 2014. Updated 1/12/2021
As we were doing our grocery shopping the other day, we happened to notice that fresh figs were in season.
I've been waiting for this for a while - I've been planning for a decadent gluten-free brie en croûte recipe for Beyond Flour, which requires fresh figs.
It's kind of maddening when you dream something up, and don't have access to actualize the idea!
Brie en Croûte with Prosciutto, Honey Pear Sauce, Figs, and Pistachios
Anyway, as one package of figs contained more than I'd need for my project, I decided to do a second, non-gluten-free version for this blog.
So glad I did - you should have seen the look on my husband's face when I presented him with this and declared it to be his supper!
If you've never had fresh figs, it may be a bit difficult to picture how this will taste.
Unlike their dried counterparts, fresh figs have a dainty, almost floral taste to them.
The taste and texture of the fresh figs pairs perfectly with the saltiness of the prosciutto, the creaminess of the cheese, sweetness of the pear-honey sauce, and the crunch from the pistachios.
This makes a very elegant and impressive appetizer OR dessert course!
A Note on Photos
As I update this entry, six and a half years after posting it... I see it uses the photos from the book.
As in, the gluten free dough, not the puff pastry called for. Also? I can’t find the actual photos of this recipe.
NO idea what happened, there.
As a result, a little bit of imagination is required here, LOL. The shape, filling, and topping are all what to expect from this recipe.
Just... picture it wrapped up in a lighter, flakier crust. That’s all!
More Fancy Recipes
Planning for a special dinner, whether Valentine’s Day, a special date, or a fancy dinner party? Here are a few recipes to consider!
Balsamic Mushroom Baked Brie
Boozy Crème Brûlée
Chocolate Dessert Ravioli
Easy Kahlua Panna Cotta
Fancy Tea Sandwiches
How to Make Cream Puffs & Croquembouche
Mushroom Brie Turnovers
Savory Tomato Shortcake
Traditional Raspberry Mousse
White Chocolate Almond Amaretto Truffles
Share the Love!
Before you chow down, be sure to take some pics of your handiwork! If you Instagram it, be sure to tag me - @CelebrationGenerationCA - or post it to My Facebook Page - so I can cheer you on!
Also, be sure to follow me on Pinterest, and subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Brie en Croûte with Prosciutto, Honey Pear Sauce, and Figs
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry
- 1 Small Wheel of Brie
- 4 slices Prosciutto
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tablespoon Water
Honey Pear Sauce
- ½ cup Pear Juice or Pear Nectar
- ¼ tablespoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Black Mission Figs sliced into wedges
- 2 tablespoon Finely Chopped Pistachios
- Preheat oven to 400 F, line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Unfold puff pastry sheet onto lined baking sheet. Carefully cut the rind off the brie, if desired.
- Wrap brie in prosciutto, place in the middle of the puff pastry sheet.
- Pull up all corners of the puff pastry, to full enclose the brie in a little pouch.
- Whisk together egg and water, Lightly brush entire pastry with egg wash.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While brie is baking, make the honey sauce:
- Whisk together juices and honey in a small saucepan. Bring JUST to a boil, turn heat down to low, and simmer for 20 minute, or until thick and syrupy. Keep an eye on it – it can burn!
- As soon as brie is finished baking, transfer to serving plate. Arrange sliced figs on top, drizzle generously with honey pear sauce. Sprinkle with pistachios, serve immediately!
Are you a wild cheese freak like us? We've some recipes for you!
Easy Cheese Souffle
Grilled Halloumi Salad with Peaches & Figs
Heart Shaped Beer Pretzels with Jalapeno Jack Dip
Hot Cheeseburger Dip
How to Make Fromage Fort
How to Make Proper Queso
Jalapeno Artichoke Cheese Dip
Smoked Cheese Balls
Smoked Jalapeno Poppers
The One Cheese Ring
Leave a Reply