Apply Chicken Burgers
The other day, we were having breakfast at a local restaurant, when a menu card caught our eye. Among the various offerings was a chicken burger with roasted apple slices. Huh. That sounded kind of good, and we made the decision that I would have to take that idea and run with it - and soon. If words on a paper can make us drool when we're already stuffed to the gills with breakfast... well, that's some serious potential, right there.
Well, inspiration came to fruition pretty quickly - we were blissfully enjoying these burgers the very next evening. Not being facetious on the "blissful", either - these were amazing. I'm not usually a fan of poultry burgers, but I addressed my concerns (blah flavor, dry texture) by adding some shredded apple into the ground chicken - a weird epiphany, I know. It was also our first time "harvesting" our newly planted basil, and - especially after a LONG weekend working on our side yard - that made it feel even more special.
I knew that my husband really - REALLY - enjoyed his burger, but had to laugh this morning when I went to pick up the images from the folder he'd saved them to.
Instead of just "Apple Chicken Burgers" - how he'd normally name it - the folder was named "Freaking_Amazing_Chicken_Burgers". Hrm. I guess he really loved these! Can't say I blame him, they really were ridiculously good. I'll be adding shredded apple to all future poultry burgers I make!
More Sandwich Recipes
Love sandwiches, or just want some new ideas for your lunches? We've got you covered!
Buffalo Chicken Buns
Convention Sloppy Joes
Fancy Tea Sandwiches
Juicy Goosey Burger
Moroccan Spiced Lamb Burgers with Pea Hummus, Goat Cheese, and Beets
Muffaletta Sandwich Recipe
Pesto Chicken Panini
Spinach Feta Salmon Burgers
Spinach Hand Pies
Tandoori Spiced Chicken Burgers with Mango
Vegetarian Chorizo Burgers with Grilled Poblano & Cilantro Pesto
Vegetarian Donairs (and Vegan Donair Meat)
Wild Rice & Mushroom Polenta Sandwich
Share the Love!
Before you chow down, be sure to take some pics of your resulting handiwork! If you Instagram it, be sure to tag me - @CelebrationGenerationCA - or post it to My Facebook Page - so I can cheer you on!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Apple Chicken Basil Burgers with Gouda
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Basil Leaves finely chopped
- 1 pound Ground Chicken
- ½ cup Grated Apple I tend to use golden delicious
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼-1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Garlic cloves pressed or finely minced
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 1 Apple thinly sliced (I used golden delicious)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Gouda Cheese Sliced
- 4 Buns of choice Gluten free, if needed
- Mix together mayo and basil, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- Combine chicken, grated apple, salt, pepper, and garlic. Gently use hands to get a really good mix going, making sure that everything evenly distributed and everything is well incorporated. Divide meat mixture into 4 evenly sized balls. Flatten each ball into a patty that is roughly the size of your burger buns – maybe a little larger.
- Brush one side of each burger with olive oil, flip over onto grill, brush the other side with olive oil. Grill over medium heat until fully cooked. This is poultry – please cook until well done!
- While burgers are grilling, saute apple slices in olive oil and salt until they start to tenderize. You want a slight amount of crunch, but not TOO much!
- To assemble the burgers:
- Split the buns, spreading basil mayo on both halves of each bun. Arrange a layer of apple slices on top of the bottom bun half.. Top with burger, and a generous layer of gouda slices. Crown with top bun, enjoy!