Hearty Corn and Black Bean Soup!
Spring is on its way, but there is still time to take advantage of "soup season"! This recipe - from my upcoming corn cookbook - won't disappoint: it's thick, warm, rich, and satisfying!
More Fall Eats
Looking for more cool weather, “autumn” type recipes to enjoy as the leaves change? I’ve got you!
Acorn Squash Tortellini with Nutmeg Cream Sauce
Gluten-Free Brandied Apple Crisp
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Mini Doughnuts
Homemade Hard Apple Cider
How to Make Candy Apples
How to Make Pumpkin Mead
Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Smoked Serrano Drizzle
Wild Rice & Sausage Stuffed Peppers
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Hearty Corn and Black Bean Soup
- 2 Large Onions chopped
- 1 lb Bacon chopped
- 2 lbs Dry Black Beans
- 12 ½ cups Chicken Stock
- 1-2 bottles Light Tasting Beer such as Corona
- 6 Ears Fresh Corn husks removed.
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 6 Celery Ribs chopped
- 3 Green Bell Peppers chopped
- 2 Red Bell Peppers chopped
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper chopped
- 3 Jalapeno Peppers finely chopped
- 6 Garlic cloves pressed or minced
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- In a large, heavy pot, saute onions and bacon until bacon is cooked but not crispy. Add black beans, chicken stock, and beer, bring to a boil.
- Once mixture comes to a boil, stir it once, cover it with a lid, and remove from heat. Allow to sit for 1 hour.
- Once an hour has passed, bring pot to a boil once more. Reduce heat, simmer for one hour, stirring frequently.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut kernels off the ears of corn, add to a pot along with lime juice/zest, celery, peppers, garlic, and seasonings.
- Continue to simmer for another 20 minutes, or until beans and all vegetables are tender, and soup is THICK.
- Serve hot, topped with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and /or crumbled bacon.