It's just a few short days til Convergence, time to share my Convention Sloppy Joes recipe!
This is always an exciting time of year for us, but after the past 6-10 months we've had... we really need this. Time to just get away from everything and kick back with the local geek community in a BIG way. Also: We get to break out the Weeping Angel costumes again!
This year, with the convention bigger than ever, we decided to plan ahead with regards to food. In an effort to save both money and a parking spot (which will be hard to come by!), we've decided to make a big batch of Sloppy Joes to share with our roommates.
After much thought, we decided that this would be the perfect convention food. It's cheap and easy to make, easy to serve, and tastes great. This version is loaded with protein and vegetables, two things that can be hard to come by - or skipped altogether - in the midst of convention festivities. It can be made ahead and frozen - not only saving time in the precious days leading up to the convention, but also to add as "ice" in the cooler. Also, leaving it to simmer all afternoon in a crock pot only enhances the flavor!
A few notes about this recipe:
- I created this recipe specifically to be made ahead and frozen, specifically for use in a slow cooker. See the end of the recipe for how to tweak this for immediate use - it would be great for a party!
- We did this based on what we had on hand, and it came out amazing. If you want to swap out types of pepper, add or subtract onion, etc... go nuts 🙂 It's a very versatile recipe.
- Having a food processor comes in really, really handy for this recipe. You can totally chop everything by hand, but food processors make REALLY easy work of this recipe!
- This is suitable for a wide range of dietary needs and allergies. It's inherently gluten free (Check your steak spice and Chorizo to be sure.. and use a GF bun!), dairy free, etc.
- Usually, you would serve Sloppy Joes on a toasted bun, and on a proper plate. In honour of Convergence - and for the sake of "Convention Food" authenticity - we have photographed this on an untoasted bun, and on a styrofoam plate 🙂
More Sandwich Recipes
Love sandwiches, or just want some new ideas for your lunches? We've got you covered!
Apple Chicken Burgers with Basil & Gouda
Buffalo Chicken Buns
Fancy Tea Sandwiches
Juicy Goosey Burger
Moroccan Spiced Lamb Burgers with Pea Hummus, Goat Cheese, and Beets
Muffaletta Sandwich Recipe
Pesto Chicken Panini
Spinach Feta Salmon Burgers
Spinach Hand Pies
Tandoori Spiced Chicken Burgers with Mango
Vegetarian Chorizo Burgers with Grilled Poblano & Cilantro Pesto
Vegetarian Donairs (and Vegan Donair Meat)
Wild Rice & Mushroom Polenta Sandwich
Share the Love!
Before you chow down, be sure to take some pics of your resulting handiwork! If you Instagram it, be sure to tag me - @CelebrationGenerationCA - or post it to My Facebook Page - so I can cheer you on!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!