With the weather (HOPEFULLY!) cooling down soon, it's probably a good time to post some cooler-weather recipes like this Roasted Corn Chowder!
This base recipe for corn chowder - from my book, "Sweet Corn Spectacular" - can be customized in many ways. It requires a little bit of effort, but it’s very much worth it. Roasting the corn before incorporating it into the chowder elevates the flavour in beautiful ways!
Note: This site is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for the site to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites. While I’ll only ever link to items that I, personally, wholeheartedly recommend, I do need to put that disclosure out there!
Roasted Corn Chowder
- 6-6 ears Fresh sweet corn husks removed
- 3 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 cups water divided
- 2 ribs celery
- 1 small onion
- 4-5 Red potatoes cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream divided
- salt and pepper
- Prepare grill. Brush 3–4 corn cobs with 2 tablespoons olive oil, and grill corn until as “done” as you like (I prefer some dark grill marks but not an overall char). Set aside to cool.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut kernels off remaining ears of corn. Add kernels to a food processor or blender with 1 cup of the water. Puree until very smooth, about 2 minutes.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, cook celery and onion in remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, stirring occasionally, until veggies are translucent and tender.
- Add corn puree, remaining cup of water, and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Carefully cut kernels off roasted cobs of corn.
- Add kernels to a food processor or blender and puree with ½ cup heavy cream until somewhat smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add roasted corn puree and remaining heavy cream to the pot, and simmer until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, serve hot!
|If you're a fan of fresh sweet corn, you'll LOVE Maize Craze: Spectacular Sweet Corn Recipes - A full colour overhaul of "Sweet Corn Spectacular" (out of print), now with more recipes, and photos for every recipe!
If you have ever looked at a corn farmer’s market stall and wondered what all you could do with a giant sack of fresh corn, this is the book for you! It features breakfasts, appetizers/side dishes, main dishes, desserts, condiments and beverage recipes, all utilizing fresh sweet corn as a centerpiece. You’d be surprised what all you can do with this versatile grain, and how easy it is to create unique dishes from it!
Order your copy here.
|Interested in Gluten-free cooking and baking? You'll LOVE Beyond Flour: A Fresh Approach to Gluten-Free Cooking and Baking!
How many times have you come across a gluten-free recipe claiming to be “just as good as the normal version!”, only to wind up with weird textures, aftertastes, etc? Most gluten-free recipes are developed by taking a “normal” recipe, and swapping in a simulated “all purpose” gluten-free flour… whether store bought, or a homemade version. “Beyond Flour” takes a different approach: developing the recipe from scratch. Rather than swapping out the flour for an “all purpose” mix, I use various alternative flours as individual ingredients – skillfully blending flavours, textures, and other properties unique to each flour. Supporting ingredients and different techniques are also utilized to achieve the perfect end goal … not just a “reasonable facsimile”. Order your copy here.
|Looking for even MORE fantastic gluten-free recipes? Beyond Flour now has a sequel: Beyond Flour 2: A Fresh Approach to Gluten-Free Cooking and Baking!
Imagine gluten-free foods that are as good – or better! – than their traditional, gluten-filled counterparts. Imagine no longer settling for foods with bizarre after-tastes, gummy consistency, and/or cardboard texture. Imagine graham crackers that taste just like the real thing. Crisp, flaky crackers…without the sandy texture. Hybrid tortillas that: look and act like flour tortillas, with the taste of fresh roasted corn! Imagine chewy, delicious cookies that *everyone* will want to eat! Imagine BAGELS. If you’ve cooked from “Beyond Flour”, you already know that these fantasies can be reality – it’s all in the development of the recipes. Order your copy here.