Crab Rangoon Pizza Recipe
Originally published March 22, 2018, Updated on 11/2/20
A few weeks ago, a thread on a Facebook group - I don't even remember what it was about - ended up drifting to the point where I learned something interesting: Crab Rangoon Pizza is a THING.
I'd never heard of it, and had never considered the possibility, but all of a sudden I NEEDED IT.
Crab Rangoon Pizza
I wanted it to be our own, so I brain stormed with my husband on what we would want "Crab Rangoon Pizza" to be, from the ground up:
The Pizza Crust
We decided that the crust should be thin and crisp, as a stand in for the wontons.
The Pizza “Sauce”
We decided no pizza sauce, using Rangoon filling as the sauce. I would do a higher proportion of crab to cream cheese than I normally do, to balance out the cheese that would top it.
Because “balance” is a thing when we’re up to such nonsense, right?
First of all: it would need a lot of green onions. Full stop.
Additionally, sweet chili sauce should be involved somehow.
We debated this for a bit... Should we brush the crust with it before spreading the filling? (No, too messy). Should we drizzle it on before baking? After baking? Just use it as a pizza dip?
After some playing around with it, the clear winner was to drizzle it on after baking. Baking didn't add anything to it, and it just looked nicer as a fresh, unbaked drizzle.
The Final Crab Rangoon Pizza Result
This was fantastic! A ton of flavour, a great alternative to traditional pizza flavours and textures.
We made this gluten free, utilizing "Caulipower" crusts, but you can use any pre-made pizza crust or crust recipe that you like.
While I think thin crust works well with the idea of Rangoon, I think a thicker, softer crust would hit the comfort food feeling even more than this already did - I'm definitely going to try it that way in the future!
Looks like we hit the same basic concept, had proportionately more crab (which it really needs!)... but the real stunner, for me, was that some people apparently make Crab Rangoon with fake crab?
I had no idea - I've never had/seen it made with fake crab. Definitely use real crab if at all possible.
More “Sounds Weird, but it WORKS!” Recipes
Got a bit of a sense of adventure in the kitchen? Here are some more recipes that sound weird, but actually work!
Canadian Candy Bar Salad
Cardamom Fig Pavlova
Dill Pickle Gummy Worms
Hopped Cheesecake with Citrus Glaze
How to Make Haggis
Moon Mist Ice Cream
Moroccan Twist Salted Caramel Popcorn
Pumpkin Spice Nanaimo Bars
Savoury Alligator Pie
Spicy Southern Comfort Glazed Chicken
Sweet Corn Ice Cream
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway! Anyway, on to the recipe!
Crab Rangoon Pizza
Crab Rangoon "Sauce"
- 8 oz Cream Cheese Softened
- 2 cans Crabmeats (~6 oz each) Well drained
- 4 Green Onions Finely Chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves Pressed
- 1 teaspoon Worchestershire Sauce
- ¼-1/4 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- Pizza Crust(s) of your choice
- Thinly Sliced Green Onions
- Grated Cheese We like a mix of Mozzarella, Provolone, and Parmesan for this
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add in crab meat, green onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and sesame oil, stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- Following the baking directions for your pizza crust, assemble the pizza. (Some crusts/crust recipes want you to bake it for a bit before putting toppings on, some don’t. Do whatever is supposed to work for the crust you’re using.)
- – Spread crust(s) with sauce.– Sprinkle generously with sliced green onions, top with grated cheese.
- Bake as directed. Remove from oven, drizzle with sweet chili sauce, serve immediately.
More Fish & Seafood Recipes
Fan of fish and seafood recipes? Here are a few more for you!
Almond Crusted Halibut with Lemon Dill Sauce
Basic Seafood Risotto
Cashew Crusted Halibut with Mango Salsa and Coconut Rice
Marie's Low Country Boil
Pepper Crusted Tuna with Wasabi Cream Sauce
Phyllo Crab Triangles
Smoked Salmon Pizza
Tuna Mango Poke