Sweet Corn Panna Cotta
The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of activity for us. First "Sweet Corn Spectacular" came out, then there was Convergence, and then a lot of very hard work getting a book off to the printer, while gearing up for the release of Spandex Simplified: Fitness & Bodybuilding to come out (August 23!).
Amidst all of that has been doing promotion for Sweet Corn Spectacular - a whole new thing for me, working with an outside publisher and actually having a dedicated minion to arrange such things! I taught a cooking class, gave a few interviews (Like for this article that came out in the Star Tribune this morning!), and even did a live cooking demo on local NBC affiliate, Kare 11, this past Saturday. I think it went pretty well - and they definitely seemed to enjoy my Sweet Corn Panna Cotta!
So, today I'm sharing that recipe here! This is an incredibly quick and easy recipe to make, and one that's sure to please. Even just the aroma of the corn steeping in the milk/cream mixture... oh, it smells amazing!
You can ladle the liquid into a serving dish or fancy glass to set, or you can grease a dessert bowl or ramekin to allow you to unmold the sweet corn panna cotta, as shown in these pictures. Whichever way you choose to serve it, this is a great way to have fun with seasonal sweet corn!
Sweet Corn Panna Cotta
- 2 ½ tsp Unflavoured Gelatin Powder
- 3 Tbsp Cold Water
- 2-3 Ears Fresh Corn husks removed
- ¾ cup Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- Optional toppings: Glazed Nuts, Candied Bacon, or Blueberry Sauce (recipes for these in “Maize Craze“.)
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a small bowl and let soak for 5 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut kernels off the ears of corn. Add kernels to a food processor or blender along with the milk. Process until corn is rendered into small pieces. .
- Pour into a saucepan along with heavy cream. Heat corn and liquid mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally; do not let it boil. Remove from heat, and allow to steep for 10 minutes
- Once mixture has steeped, pour it through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean saucepan; discard kernel pulp. Add sugar, and heat mixture over medium just to a simmer once again, stirring to dissolve sugar. Meanwhile, microwave the gelatin on high for about 15 seconds or until melted.
- Once the milk mixture has come to a simmer, remove it from the heat. Whisk in the gelatin until fully incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Add sour cream, whisking until fully incorporated and smooth. Pour into 4 ramekins or custard cups. Chill for at least 2 hours, until set.
- Top with Glazed Nuts, Candied Bacon, or Blueberry Sauce, if desired.
|If you're a fan of fresh sweet corn, you'll LOVE Maize Craze: Spectacular Sweet Corn Recipes - A full colour overhaul of "Sweet Corn Spectacular" (out of print), now with more recipes, and photos for every recipe!
If you have ever looked at a corn farmer’s market stall and wondered what all you could do with a giant sack of fresh corn, this is the book for you! It features breakfasts, appetizers/side dishes, main dishes, desserts, condiments and beverage recipes, all utilizing fresh sweet corn as a centerpiece. You’d be surprised what all you can do with this versatile grain, and how easy it is to create unique dishes from it!
Order your copy here.
|Interested in Gluten-free cooking and baking? You'll LOVE Beyond Flour: A Fresh Approach to Gluten-Free Cooking and Baking!
How many times have you come across a gluten-free recipe claiming to be “just as good as the normal version!”, only to wind up with weird textures, aftertastes, etc? Most gluten-free recipes are developed by taking a “normal” recipe, and swapping in a simulated “all purpose” gluten-free flour… whether store bought, or a homemade version. “Beyond Flour” takes a different approach: developing the recipe from scratch. Rather than swapping out the flour for an “all purpose” mix, I use various alternative flours as individual ingredients – skillfully blending flavours, textures, and other properties unique to each flour. Supporting ingredients and different techniques are also utilized to achieve the perfect end goal … not just a “reasonable facsimile”. Order your copy here.
|Looking for even MORE fantastic gluten-free recipes? Beyond Flour now has a sequel: Beyond Flour 2: A Fresh Approach to Gluten-Free Cooking and Baking!
Imagine gluten-free foods that are as good – or better! – than their traditional, gluten-filled counterparts. Imagine no longer settling for foods with bizarre after-tastes, gummy consistency, and/or cardboard texture. Imagine graham crackers that taste just like the real thing. Crisp, flaky crackers…without the sandy texture. Hybrid tortillas that: look and act like flour tortillas, with the taste of fresh roasted corn! Imagine chewy, delicious cookies that *everyone* will want to eat! Imagine BAGELS. If you’ve cooked from “Beyond Flour”, you already know that these fantasies can be reality – it’s all in the development of the recipes. Order your copy here.