Butter Chicken Recipe
Originally published June 18, 2012. Updated on 6/25/2021
So, I've been nagged to post a recipe over the past few days, so it's time to share my Butter Chicken Recipe!
Thursday night, I was hit by a fierce craving for butter chicken and dosa.
Not only is it *not* the best thing to be craving when on a low carb diet, neither one of us was really in the mood to go out.
Homemade Butter Chicken
So, we came to a compromise - we'd go to the grocery store and pick up a few items, and I'd toss together meal of Butter Chicken.
I had a good handle on how it's supposed to taste and look, and really - I'm not the one who had to do the dishes. Win!
If you've made my Chicken Shahi Korma recipe, you should have most/all of the spices used in this butter chicken recipe.
If not, go ahead and pick them up - I guarantee you'll be cooking Indian more often!
This absolutely hit the spot, and whipped up quickly and easily. Why deal with the drive, parking, a noisy restaurant.. when this is just as good?
More Indian Food Recipes....
Love Indian food? Be sure to check out these other fabulous Indian - and Indian inspired - recipes!
Chicken Shahi Korma Recipe
Cilantro Chicken Recipe
Cilantro-Mint Chutney Recipe
Gluten-Free Chicken Pakora Recipe
Gluten-Free Mixed Vegetable Pakora Recipe
Gluten-Free Paneer Pakora Recipe
Gluten-Free Samosa Recipe
Mango Lassi Popsicles Recipe
Paneer Burgers Recipe
Tandoori Spiced Chicken Burger with Mango Recipe
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
- 3 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken**
- 2-3 tablespoon Freshly Grated Ginger Root
- 5 Garlic cloves peeled
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1-2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 + tablespoon pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon corinader
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups tomato puree
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut chicken into large cubes, place in a large bowl.
- Put ginger, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and 1-2 teaspoon garam masala into a blender or food processor – process till it’s a thick paste. Pour over chicken, toss to coat, and marinate in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- In a small bowl, measure out the 1 tablespoon garam masala, pepper flakes, cumin, coriander, bay leaf, and fennel seed. Set aside.
- In a large pan, cook chopped onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil until tender and translucent. Add chicken, cook until it starts to brown slightly. Add butter, tomato puree, spices, yogurt, heavy cream and milk, stir well to form a coherent sauce. reduce heat to medium, simmer for about 20 minutes – sauce will thicken.
- After 20 minutes, taste. Season with salt and pepper, stir well, continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve over rice.