So, with breakfast and entrees pretty much covered, here's a look at a favourite con dessert / snack recipe I've been making the past few years - "Convention Brownies". With these brownies, the two main con-related nutritional deficits I decided to tackle were protein and fiber.. and these have a fair amount of both!
Don't worry, though... these don't have the taste or texture of a nutritional supplement. They're your basic wonderful gooey, fudgey chocolate brownie. All the goodness is hidden among all the fat and sugar, LOL!
Oh, and hey - if you use gluten-free oat flour, these are naturally gluten free. That's the thing about upping the fiber and protein in something like a brownie... there's just no room for something like all purpose flour. AP flour has basically nothing to offer for nutrition... so it's the first to go when revamping a recipe!
Wanna Nerd out With Us Some More?
There's a LOT of nerdery - and geekery - going down on this blog. Here are some favourites...
1 Up Mushroom Baby Hat Tutorial
Bubble Bobble Wedding Cake
Dalek Cake for a Doctor
Dalek Sugar Cookie Decorating
Convention Sloppy Joes
Gluten-Free Fish Fingers & Custard
Hobbit Hole Cat Shelter Tutorial
How to Make a Weeping Angel Costume
How to Design & Install a Nerdy Backsplash
My Convention Survival Guide
Partridgeberry Pie & Cosplay Geekery
Pi Day Pinata Tutorial
Roasted Convention Chili Recipe
Ronan the Accuser Makeup Tutorial
That Time I made a TARDIS Cake for Geek Royalty..
The Epic Klingon Cake
The One Cheese Ring
The Silence of the Lambs Cake
The Story of Foopmallet
Tremors Wedding Cake
Share the Love!
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Gluten-Free “Convention” Brownies
- ½ cup cocoa
- ½ cup chocolate flavoured whey protein powder
- ¾ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup flax meal
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup chopped nuts or other “stuff”
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare 9 x 13 pan with pan spray / shortening, or line with parchment or foil.
- In large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients, whisking until everything is well incorporated.
- Add eggs, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir until dry ingredients are well incorporated and wet.
- Add chocolate chunks and nuts/etc, stir until evenly distributed in the batter.
- Spread batter into prepared pan(s), Bake for 30-35 mins.
- Brownies are done when knife inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool completely before cutting into squares. Enjoy!