Mango Mojito Ice Cream - The combination of mango, fresh mint, and rum extract makes for a unique, refreshing ice cream - Easy to make, too!
Originally published August 9, 2009. Updated on 4/29/2021
Mango with mint is one of my favourite fruit flavour combinations. Mint with most summer fruits, actually.
I love making big fruit salads with melon, grapes, mango, kiwi, etc. Drizzle it with a bit of honey and calamansi juice, toss in a handful of chopped mint - really fantastic!
Mango and Mint, specifically, though? *Chef’s kiss*.
Add some rum, and you’ve got the flavour base for my most famous cake - Mango Mojito Upside Down Cake.
”Weird” Ice Cream Flavours
I’ve never been one for vanilla ice cream (Though, I do acknowledge Vanilla as a flavour itself, and not “plain” ice cream!)... I’ve always liked the fun stuff.
Tiger Tail Ice Cream - Orange Ice Cream with black licorice caramel ribbon! - was always my favourite as a kid, after all.
I routinely make Sweet Corn Ice Cream for my “King of the Corn Freaks” husband.
IMHO, ice cream should be bright, colourful, and FUN. Bright colours, bright flavours, whatever - it’s summer food!
Mango Mojito Ice Cream
Obviously, I had to mash together my love of mango, mint, and rum, with my love of fun ice cream... and here we are!
This recipe makes a HUGE amount of ice cream - 3 quarts - more than most home ice cream makers will handle at one time.
The recipe can be halved or quartered... or you can do as we do, and make it in batches. This ice cream is so ridiculously good, you'll be glad to have it on hand!
More Cool Summer Treat Recipes!
Looking for a tasty way to cool down? I've got you...
50 Unique Ice Cream Recipes
Creamy Blackberry Peach Popsicles
Frozen Dessert Pizza
Homemade Wine Slush Mix
Mango Lassi Popsicles
Maple Walnut Ice Cream
Moon Mist Ice Cream
Quick Sweet Corn Soda
Southern Comfort Peaches N Cream Popsicles
Sweet Corn Ice Cream
Tiger Tail Ice Cream
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Mango Mojito Ice Cream
- 2 Cups Mint Leaves Rinsed
- 4 Cups Heavy Cream
- 4 Cups Milk
- 12 Large Egg Yolks
- 1 ½ Cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Can Mango Pulp
- 6 teaspoon Rum Extract
- In a large pot, muddle mint leaves with heavy cream and milk. Heat almost to boiling, then remove from heat and allow to steep for 10-15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks together with sugar and salt. When thoroughly combined, add mango pulp and rum extract, and whisk till smooth. Set aside.
- When mint is done steeping, strain mint leaves from milk mixture. Discard mint leaves.
- Allow milk mixture to cool slightly, then add in mango mixture, whisking till fully combined and smooth. Heat just to the boiling point, stirring constantly.
- Once mixture begins to boil, remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cooled, chill in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Prepare according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Keep any extra ice cream solution chilled until use – process into ice cream within a day or two.