These caramel apple pancakes are an amazing breakfast to start off a lovely fall day. Spiced apple pancakes with quick caramel apple topping!
As it’s currently apple season, time for some delicious pancakes on a seasonal theme here: My Caramel Apple Pancakes!
These are spiced, fluffy pancakes that take on the flavour of delicious caramel apples, via the caramel apple topping.
It’s super easy to make - just sauteed apples homemade caramel syrup that forms during the cooking process.
This makes for a fantastic breakfast that the whole family will love.
Make it as a special breakfast on Thanksgiving or Christmas morning... or just on any random fall weekend!
If you need a gluten free version, check out my Gluten Free Caramel Apple Pancakes recipe, over on my gluten-free food blog.
This is a super basic recipe, made up of pantry staples and basic ingredients that you can find at any grocery store.
A few notes:
This recipe uses apples both in the pancakes, and as the basis of the fruit topping.
Because the apples are so heavily accented with the brown sugar and spices, you can really use any apple you like.
I’ll generally use Granny Smith or Mutsu if I’d like a more tart apple base, and Honeycrisp if I’m looking to use sweet apples.
I just use all purpose flour for this recipe.
If you’d like a bit more fiber or heft to it, you can use some oat flour or whole wheat flour in place of up to ⅓ of the flour in this recipe.
(Anything more will change the texture).
I use both brown sugar and granulated sugar in this recipe - brown in the caramel sauce, white in the pancakes.
That said, you can definitely use packed brown sugar in place of the granulated sugar in the pancakes themselves... but I wouldn’t recommend using white sugar instead of brown for the caramel sauce.
No real notes on the following ingredients, which round out the rest of this recipe:
How to Make Caramel Apple Pancakes
The full recipe is in the recipe card at the end of this post, this is a pictorial walk through with additional info.
Caramel Apple Topping
Peel your apples if you like, slice or chop into bite sized pieces.
Add apple slices, stir well. Turn burner down, simmer on medium-low for 5 minutes.
Add heavy cream and vanilla, stir well to form a smooth caramel sauce.
Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg. Set aside.
In a small bowl or medium bowl, whisk together milk, melted butter, egg, and vanilla extract until smooth. .
Pour wet ingredients mixture into the mixing bowl of dry ingredients, along with the shredded apple.
Lightly stir, just until combined – do not over beat it! Small lumps are totally OK.
* I like to use a large nonstick pan, but using cast iron - like a 10-inch cast iron skillet - is another popular choice!
Scoop small amounts of pancake batter onto the griddle - I usually go with ¼ cup of the batter per pancake.
Gently spread batter out into a larger circle, about 4 – 4.5″ in diameter.
Cook on the first side until little air bubbles start popping through top surface of the pancakes. Flip, cook until golden brown and cooked through.
Divide pancakes among serving plates. Mound the center of the top pancakes with apples and a little caramel sauce - and whipped cream, if desired - serve immediately.
Leftovers are best cooled to room temp WITHOUT sauce on them, and transferred to an airtight container. Leftover pancakes and sauce can be stored - separately - in the fridge for 3 days or so.
More Tasty Apple Recipes
Looking for some more apple desserts (and more!)? I’ve got you covered with even more easy and delcious recipes!
Apple and Blackberry Crumble
Apple Cider Cake
Apple Cinnamon Caramel Popcorn
Apple Crisp Macchiato
Brandied Apple Upside Down Cake
Chicken Burgers with Apple, Basil, & Gouda
Easy Apple Blueberry Muffins
Gluten Free Apple Cake
Gluten-Free Apple Crisp
Gluten Free Apple Pie
Gluten Free Caramel Apple Pancakes
Hard Apple Cider
Healthier Apple Oatmeal Muffins
Homemade Apple Turnovers
Maple Apple Roses with Puff Pastry
Maple Caramel Apple Pie
Maple Caramel Apple Recipe
Spiced Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense. Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Finally, if you love this recipe, please consider leaving a star rating and/or a comment below, and maybe even sharing this post on social media!
Caramel Apple Pancakes
- ¼ cup Butter
- 1 cup Brown Sugar Packed
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon optional
- Pinch Salt
- 2 Apples cored and chopped.
- 3 tablespoon Heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- ¼ cup Granulated sugar or sweetener
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- Pinch Ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups Milk
- ¼ cup Melted butter
- 1 Large egg
- 2 teaspoons Pure vanilla extract
- 1 Apple peeled and shredded
- Cooking spray
- In a medium pan, melt the butter. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt, stir well to combine.
- Add apples, stir well and simmer on medium-low for 5 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and vanilla, stir well to form a smooth caramel sauce.
- Turn heat down to low, prepare your pancakes:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, melted butter, egg, and vanilla extract until smooth. .
- Pour wet ingredient mixture into the bowl of flour mix, along with the shredded apple. Lightly stir, just until combined – do not over beat it!
- Lightly oil your griddle or frying pan, preheat over medium-low heat. Scoop ¼ cup(50 ml) amounts of batter onto the griddle.
- Gently spread batter out into a larger circle, about 4 – 4.5″ in diameter.
- Cook until bubbles start popping through the top of the pancakes. Flip, cook until done.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Divide pancakes among serving plates. Top with caramel apple sauce, serve immediately.