Madeleines are pretty, dainty, tasty little bites of cake. My recipe for Limoncello Madeleines - from “The Spirited Baker” is a step above!
Originally published August 15, 2011. Updated on 7/2/2021
What are Madeleines?
Madeleines are a traditional tea cake - almost a cookie - from northeastern France.
While there are several different variants of flavor for the cakes, one thing is pretty much constant - the shape.
Madeleines are baked using a special pan with shallow, shell shaped indentations. Very pretty!
Madeleine pans can be purchased at many department and home goods stores, or online.
Traditional Madeleines are great as is... but the addition of a citrusy liqueur kicks it up a notch.
If Limoncello isn't your thing, try this with Grand Marnier, even Triple Sec for a new take on a classic!
Alternatively, try omitting the zest and liqueur, and using 1-2 teaspoon of homemade flavor extract. Such a simple, elegant treat... but the possibilities are endless!
This recipe comes from my first cookbook, The Spirited Baker. It’s FULL of fun, tasty recipes using spirits and liqueurs for flavour – you should check it out:
Combining liqueurs with more traditional baking ingredients can yield spectacular results.Try Mango Mojito Upside Down Cake, Candy Apple Flan, Jalapeno Beer Peanut Brittle, Lynchburg Lemonade Cupcakes, Pina Colada Rum Cake, Strawberry Daiquiri Chiffon Pie, and so much more.
To further add to your creative possibilities, the first chapter teaches how to infuse spirits to make both basic and cream liqueurs, as well as home made flavor extracts! This book contains over 160 easy to make recipes, with variation suggestions to help create hundreds more! Order your hard copy here on my website, through Amazon, or through any major bookseller.
More Boozy Desserts
Looking for more desserts with spirit? Here are a few more recipes that feature liqueur as a flavouring ingredient:
Bahama Mama Torte
Bananas Foster Pavlova
Boozy Chocolate Haystack Cookies
Boozy Crème Brûlée
Boozy Raspberry-Peach Bread Pudding
Jalapeno Beer Baklava
Mango Mojito Upside Down Cake
Melon Ball Trifle
Peachy Southern Comfort Cheesecake
Rum Runner Trifle
Southern Comfort Peach Popsicles
Tropical Fruit & Rum Cookies
... and be sure to check out my "Spirited Baking & Cooking Recipes" category for more!
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
- 1 ½ cups Cake Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 5 Large Eggs
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Butter melted
- 1 tablespoon Limoncello Liqueur
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Confectioners / Icing / Powdered Sugar optional
- Chocolate optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°F). Generously grease Madeleine pan with shortening.
- Sift flour and baking powder together into a bowl, set aside.
- Combine eggs and sugar, beat until very pale yellow. Add butter, liqueur, and lemon zest, mix until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to mixing bowl of wet ingredients, stir until well incorporated and smooth.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of batter into each prepared Madeleine mold cavity. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden. Turn Madeleines out onto a clean dishtowel, cool.
- To serve, dust Madeleines with a little powdered sugar, or dip 1 end/side of each shell into melted chocolate.