Originally published June 1, 2012. Updated on 6/24/2021
Yesterday marked day one of a one month long challenge that my husband and I are attempting - we're going to attempt to stick to a healthy diet AND work out consistently for one entire month.
As usual, this requires some serious planning.
As I'm currently working on two cookbooks - neither one of which are particularly healthy - I need to weed through the recipes, decide what CAN fit in with the next month's diet.
We decide on a meal plan, go grocery shopping, and plan for things like "What's a healthy alternative when I am seriously craving sugar?" (Dried fruit, btw).
As we tend to get "snacky" in the evening, we have two go-to snacks: Kale Chips, and roasted chickpeas.
The kale takes the place of potato chips, and we look at the roasted chickpeas as a substitute for popcorn.
Not only is this a really tasty snack, it's healthy: Fairly low calorie, has some protein and fiber, and the only fat comes from the olive oil.
It's also quite filling, which goes a long way to taking the edge off hunger. We love this, even when not dieting!
Flavouring Your Roasted Garbanzo Beans
This is a very simple recipe - all you *really* need are the canned chickpeas, oil, and salt... but you can have so much more fun with it!
Mix it up a bit by using other herbs and/or spices, alone or in combination. In addition to salt, here are a few ideas:
Curry powder is great, alone or with chili powder, turmeric, ginger, and/or cayenne.
Go southwest with some cumin and chili.
Cardamom, fennel, cinnamon, garlic, and chili work together for a Moroccan type flair.
Our lazy go-to is smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Try smoked serrano, dried hatch chili powder, dill… anything you’d like!
This works really well with flavored/infused olive oils.
Garbanzo beans = chickpeas, by the way!
More Snacky Recipes
Looking for something fun to munch on? I've got some fantastic recipes for you!
Cactus Cut Potatoes & Dip
Canadian Popcorn Seasonings
Dill Pickle Cream Cheese Dip
Dill Pickle Gummy Worms
Dill Pickle Waffle Fries
"Everything" Honey Glazed Cashews
Game Day Fruity Glazed Popcorn
Ginger Wasabi Dip
Honey Jeow Glazed Cashews
Hot Cheeseburger Dip
Jalapeno Beer Peanut Brittle
Maple White Cheddar Popcorn
Moroccan Twist Salted Caramel Popcorn
Porter House Guacamole
Porter's Epic Popcorn
Queso Dip from Scratch
Smoked French Fries
Sweet Heat Salted Caramel Popcorn
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
- 1 Large Can Chickpeas / Garbanzo Beans
- Olive Oil
- Seasonings Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Smoked Paprika, etc
- Preheat oven to 400 F, Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Drain chickpeas well – shake the strainer a few times to get rid of any extra water.
- Transfer chickpeas to a clean baking sheet. I like to use a few sheets of paper towel to roll that beans around on the pan, removing as much remaining surface moisture as possible – this will result in a crispier final product.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the chickpeas – I use about 1 tablespoon
- Sprinkle salt and pepper, and whatever seasonings you'd like* over it all.
- Stir it up a bit, to evenly coat the beans with olive oil and seasonings.
- Roast for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven, stir well. Return pan to the oven to roast for another 15-20 minutes, or until beans are as crunchy as you want them. Serve hot!