Fat Elvis Cupcakes
Originally posted on September 9, 2013. Updated 1/7/2021
This past weekend, I had to bring something to an author's picnic that Minnesota Historical Society Press - the publisher of Sweet Corn Spectacular was putting on.
Being kind of corned out at the moment, I decided to bring something other than the delicious corn-filled foods I'd been talking to the media about for the past few weeks.
Inspired by the excitement that one of my friends was expressing over this particular cupcake flavour, I decided make a blast from my past:
Fat Elvis Cupcakes!
This is an amazing flavour combination: a moist banana cake, combined with both peanut butter and chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream!
It was a popular flavour on my cake menu back in the day, done up as cupcakes and sold at farmer's markets, and it's been popular with those who have copies of "Evil Cake Overlord", where it was also featured.
It went over SO well at the picnic - I'd almost forgotten how wild people get about that flavour!
I'd also forgotten that Swiss Meringue Buttercream still isn't widely known about / used here in Minneapolis, so it was a lot of fun exposing people to it, once again.
It's creamy and smooth and perfect - nothing at all like heavier, gritty American buttercream.
Normally, this is done as a torte, with alternating layers of frosting. As a cupcake, I've always loved to swirl the two frostings together, for flavour AND appearance.
Aren't they gorgeous? I figure it's about time I blogged the Fat Elvis cupcakes recipe.
How to Do a 2 Colour Swirl on Cupcakes
Prepare your Cupcake Frosting
Prepare a batch of Swiss Meringue Buttercream, divide into two equal portions.
Beat peanut butter into one portion until fully incorporated and smooth.
Beat melted and cooled chocolate into the other portion.
Frosting your Fat Elvis Cupcakes
This Cupcake Frosting Set is ideal, as it contains both cupcake-sized tips AND the couplers. I always hate trying to figure out what couplers will fit with which tips, especially when ordering online!
Fill the other two bags with one each of the two frosting flavors. I like to tie them off with a little bit of twine, as it keeps things cleaner:
I filled them a bit more full than you really should – I was making a double batch!
Cut about ¾″ off the end of the two frosting bags and CAREFULLY insert them into the third frosting bag, so that the two open tips insert almost all the way into the coupler (NOT all the way into the tip, though!).
Be gentle, you don’t want to squeeze frosting out of one or both of those bags yet!
Use the frosting bag as you normally would, piping a swirl of frosting on top of each cupcake.
Interested in making wickedly delicious cakes? You'll LOVE my second cookbook, Evil Cake Overlord!
We've long been known for our “ridiculously delicious” moist cakes and tasty, unique flavors. Now, you can have recipes for all of the amazing flavors on our former custom cake menu, and many more!
Bake your moist work of gastronomic art, then fill and frost your cake with any number of tasty possibilities. Milk chocolate cardamom pear, mango mojito.. even our famous Chai cake – the flavor that got us into “Every Day with Rachel Ray” magazine!
Feeling creative? Use our easy to follow recipe to make our yummy fondant. Forget everything you’ve heard about fondant – ours is made from marshmallows and powdered sugar, and is essentially candy – you can even flavor it!
MORE Cake Recipes!
Looking for more Ridiculously Delicious cake recipes? Here are a few more!
Bundt, Sheet, & Upside Down Cakes
Bananas Foster Upside Down Cake
Brandied Apple Upside Down Cake
Deep N Delicious Cake
French Martini Bundt Cake
French Martini Upside Down Cake
Mango Mojito Upside Down Cake
Pina Colada Bundt Cake
Strawberry Mango Marble Cake
3D Bat Cupcakes
3D Monarch Butterfly Cupcakes
Easy Butterfly Cupcakes
Easy Halloween Bat Cupcakes
Lynchburg Lemonade Cupcakes
Pink Grapefruit Daiquiri Cupcakes
Spider Web Cupcakes
Share the Love!
Also, be sure to subscribe to my free monthly email newsletter, so you never miss out on any of my nonsense.
Well, the published nonsense, anyway!
Anyway, on to those Fat Elvis Cupcakes!
Fat Elvis Cupcakes
- 2 cups Cake Flour
- 1 ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 3.5oz box Instant vanilla or banana pudding mix*
- 4 Large Eggs
- ¾ cup Water
- 1 cup Pureed Bananas
- 1 cup Butter Melted
- 1 tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 batch batch Swiss Meringue buttercream
- ½ cup Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips Melted and cooled to almost room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cupcake pan with cupcake papers, or spray with nonstick baking spray (I prefer liners)
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pudding mix in a large mixing bowl. Add in eggs and water, beating until smooth. Carefully add pureed bananas, melted butter and vanilla to the mix, mixing on medium speed until smooth.
- Divide batter among prepared cupcake pans. Bake until golden and knife inserted into center of batter comes out clean and cake springs back – about 20-22 minutes.
- Allow to cool to room temperature
- Prepare swiss meringue buttercream, divide into two equal portions. Beat peanut butter into one portion until fully incorporated and smooth. Beat melted and cooled chocolate into the other portion.
- Have 3 large frosting bags on hand. Fit one with a large coupler set and tip of your choice – I used used a 4B, large star tip. Fill the other two bags with one each of the two frosting flavors. I like to tie them off with a little bit of twine, as it keeps things cleaner:
- I filled them a bit more full than you really should – I was making a double batch!
- Cut about ¾″ off the end of the two frosting bags and CAREFULLY insert them into the third frosting bag, so that the two open tips insert almost all the way into the coupler (NOT all the way into the tip, though!)
- Be gentle, you don’t want to squeeze frosting out of one or both of those bags yet!
- Use the frosting bag as you normally would, piping a swirl of frosting on top of each cupcake.
Looking for More Recipes for "The Big Game"?
... or other watching party, or just to up your snack food game for the hell of it? I've got you covered!
40+ Fantastic Wing Recipes
Bacon Roasted Potato Skins
Baked Reuben Poppers
Beer Pretzels with Jalapeno Jack Dip
Dill Pickle Cream Cheese Dip
Game Day Popcorn
Ginger Wasabi Dip
Hot Cheeseburger Dip
How to Cook Perogies in an Air Fryer
Jalapeno Artichoke "Backfire" Dip
Jalapeno Beer Brittle
Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Pretzels
Porter House Guacamole
Porter's Epic Popcorn
Queso Dip from Scratch
Smoked Bacon Jalapeno Poppers
Smoked Cheese Balls
Smoked French Fries